Posted: November 23rd, 2015
Salman Rushdieâ€™s novella, Haroun and the Sea of Stories.
Close Reading and Writing Quiz
Instructions: Try to use the attached response sheet to record answers. Make sure to number responses so that each aligns to the questions below. The number in parentheses at the end of each question is the total points for a correct response. Partial credit will be given to responsesthat show some knowledge about the subject matter.The sum total of points for the quiz is 100.There are 3 extra credit questions that could earn a student up to 15 extra points. Read all questions first before writing a response. The first question is a test of students’ close reading of the course syllabus with the intended purpose of sending a message—do not share or work with other students on this quiz.Remember, students must upload their digital responses to the wiki, and email instructor ([email protected]) before 8:00 AM on Tuesday, November 17, 2015.
1. Write down the exact sentence in the course syllabus that explains why cheating on this quiz is plagiarism. Be sure to use quotation marks. (5 points)
The remaining questions pertain to Salman Rushdie’s novella, Haroun and the Sea of Stories.
2. Name one of Rashid Khalifa’s “best beloved stories.” (10 points)
3. How many times does the “Unthinkable Thing” happen in the story? (10)
a. Extra Credit: Provide “textual” evidence for one instance of the “Unthinkable Thing” by quoting the exact words used by Rushdie to describe it. (5 points)
4. Haroun and his father experience a great deal of stressafter Soraya leaves. For each of these characters, describe the physical/emotional symptoms of this stress. (10 points)
5. How does Rushdie show the reader where Haroun’s journey to Kahani begins and ends? (15)
a. Extra Credit: Provide “textual” evidence by quoting the exact words used by Rushdie (5 points for evidence showing where the journey begins and another 5 points for where it ends). Please note page number(s).
6. Describe the Shadow Warrior, Mudra (“the Champion Warrior of Chup”). Provide as much detail as possible. (15)
7. Using the story as your guide, describe the main argument that Rushdie is making about factors that protect a family against life challenges. (15)
8. Name three characters in the storywho have some association with “juggling.” (15)
9. What characters in the story have a fairy tale ending? Explain. (5)
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET A GOOD DISCOUNT 🙂
Place an order in 3 easy steps. Takes less than 5 mins.