Posted: April 2nd, 2015
mental illness in movies
This is the Instructions
1. Mental illness in the movies (40%)
This assignment requires you to write an essay on representations of mental illness and people with mental illness found in the popular media. For this assignment you will need to describe how the media portrays mental illness and people with mental illness through language, images and news. You will also need to provide examples of the ways in which mental illnesses are characterised in the media. To do this you should analyse television and radio programs, movies, magazines, photographic images, newspaper items, or advertisements. You may find it helpful to identify media representations of a particular form or aspect of mental illness, such as depression, schizophrenia or attempted suicide, and search for sources around these. The important thing to remember is to focus on the media representations of these illnesses rather than the illnesses themselves. You will also need to provide academic evidence from peer-reviewed research throughout the essay to support the points you make and the examples you provide
• Commence with a broad statement/position and end your introduction with the specific thesis statement.
• Your introduction is to tell the reader what you will write about in the body of your work.
Body of work
• Description of how the media portrays mental illness and people with mental illness through television, radio programs, movies, magazines, photographic images or newspaper items.
• An analysis of specific media presentations of a particular form of mental illness such as depression or schizophrenia and their impact on individuals with mental illness, their families and the society at large.
• Use of academic structure and clearly constructed arguments
• Use of appropriate peer-reviewed research papers to support the points
The conclusion should sum up the key points made in the body of the essay without adding any new information.
Place an order in 3 easy steps. Takes less than 5 mins.