Posted: October 9th, 2017
Azaka’s Birthday Party
In this lesson we are returning to the ritual described in Mama Lola in Chapter 2 (pages 38-68). This is Azaka’s birthday party that took place in 1984. Answer the following questions. (Do you retype each question. Just refer to each one by number.)
1. In this ritual the space where the ritual takes place is in Mama Lola’s home. Where is this ritual space located?
2. Describe the ritual space in which the ritual took place.
3. Approximately how many people participated in this ritual? How were they related to one another?
4. Is this a periodic or occasional ritual? Explain how you arrived at your answer.
5. Is this a prescriptive or situational ritual? Explain how you arrived at your answer.
6. Using the classification of rituals that has been presented to you, and looking at the ritual overall, how would you label the particular ritual? Explain how you arrived at your answer.
7. Were there elements of other types of rituals present? What were they?
8. During the last two weeks we have been studying religious symbols. List 3 religious symbols found in this ritual and describe each one. What does each symbol mean?
9. This Vodou ritual contains a number of Catholic elements. Give one good example.
Place an order in 3 easy steps. Takes less than 5 mins.