Probability and Odds
Focus Set 5 – Introduction to Probability and Odds
1. If you write the numbers 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 on slips of paper and
place them in a hat, then you draw one slip of paper.
(Note: There are 10 slips of paper.)
What is the probability of dawning the following:
a) a number greater than 7? P(x > 7)
b) a number less greater than 4 and less than 8? P(x>4 and x<8)
2. A single card is dealt from a standard deck of 52 cards. What is the probability that:
(a) the card is a club?
(b) the card is a picture card?
(Picture cards have faces. Aces are not picture cards.)
A B C D F
Freshmen 2 5 10 6 5
Sophomores 3 6 9 2 2
3. The grade distribution for a particular finite math class (not mine) populated by freshmen and sophomores is as shown in the table.
Suppose we randomly select a student from this class.
(a) What is the probability that the student made a D?
(b) What is the probability that the student is a freshman?
Odds should be written as ratios.
Probabilities should be as fractions or decimals.
Fraction must be in lowest terms.
Decimals must be rounded to 3 decimal places.
4. A single card is selected from a standard deck of 52 cards.
a) What are the odds in favor of selecting an ace?
b) What are the odds against selecting a heart?
5. If the odds against Andre winning his tennis match are 4:5, then what is the probability that Andre will win his tennis match?
6. If the odds in favor of an event are 2:5, then what is the probability that the event will occur?
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET A GOOD DISCOUNT 🙂
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more