Posted: August 14th, 2015
Critically evaluate the key issues that strategic analysis plays in a business or organisation that you are familiar with.
In this assignment, you are required to write a 2500 word report including 200 words of an executive summary, but excluding references and appendix. You should also perform the following tasks:
1. Describe briefly the background information of the organisation (or SBU) assigned. This information should be brief and relevant to the discussion of your assignment and thus may include ownership, history, size, business scope, major products/services, and major markets of the organisation (or SBU) selected.
2. Conduct external environment analysis including a macro-environment analysis and Porter’s 5 forces analysis:
(1) Conduct a macro-environment analysis for the entire industry within which the organisation (or SBU) operates. You should use PESTEL model and focus on the understanding of the purpose of this analysis, the identification of key factors and their implications in terms of key opportunities and threats, and the discussion of their overall impact on the industry growth in the future. Draw your conclusion based on your macro-environment analysis.
(2) Undertake a competitive analysis using Porter’s 5 forces model. You are required to pay attention to the purpose of this analysis, the inter-connectedness of different aspects of the competitive forces, and their overall impact on the industry and the organisation selected in terms of main driving forces in the competitive environment. Draw your conclusions based on your five-force analysis.
3. Conduct internal environment analysis. You should identify key resources and competencies of the organisation (or SBU) that are likely to provide sustainable competitive advantage.
4. Summarise your findings based on your external and internal environment analysis. Identify the key issues that the organisation (or SBU) faces and give your recommendations.
5. Draw your conclusion.
Guidelines for this task:
Ensure that you read widely and address key components of the strategic management process addressed in the literature from Module 1.
You should seek to complement the readings from Module 1 by accessing books and relevant journal articles from the sources listed under ‘Recommended additional reading’ in this Subject Outline.
Use your reading to inform your critical evaluation of the key issues of strategic analysis within the business, public sector or not-for-profit organisation where you work.
While you are required to name the organisation that is the focus of your research, you may wish to make a case for maintaining the anonymity of the organisation (e.g. due to political or commercial sensitivities). Contact your subject coordinator before you start on the assignment if you need to do this.
This assessment item relates to the following learning outcomes in this subject:
• be able to identify and explain the key components of strategic management such as strategy analysis;
• be able to review and evaluate the evolution of ideas and practices leading to the development of strategic management and its relationship to other management practices and principles;
• be able to identify and differentiate between functional areas such as marketing, finance, operations and human resource management and evaluate how they should act conjointly toward the attainment of the organisations strategic aims and objectives;
• be able to evaluate the importance of developing strategically appropriate relationships between people, processes, functions, structures and even organisations; and
• be able to critique, act strategically, and make recommendations in the context of the potential of strategic management vis-a-vis the realisation of organisational change and/or success in the private, public, and not-for-profit sectors.
Place an order in 3 easy steps. Takes less than 5 mins.