Posted: March 23rd, 2017
An investor is interested in purchasing a multi-tenant office building in Miami, which has an asking price of $110 per SF. Assume that, apart from 2% purchasing cost, there are no additional acquisition-related costs. The building size is 60,390 SF. It is currently leased to three tenants:
· The first tenant is renting 24,156 SF for $25/SF/year. The lease will expire in 2 years.
· The second tenant is renting 10,266.3 SF for $23.5/SF/year. The lease will expire in 4 years and has an annual rent increase of 3%.
· The third tenant is occupying the remaining space for $22/SF/year and the lease will expire in 6 years. Rental increases of $2 per SF will occur at the beginning of the 2nd and 4th year.
After the first lease expires, assume a V&C of 5% of the PGI each year, which will increase to 10% once the second lease expires. The market rent is currently $19/SF/year and is expected to decrease by 4% each year for the next 3 years and then increase again at 2.25% each year for the next 4 years.
Operating expenses for all leases are $8.5/SF/year and will increase annually by 2% (i.e. with inflation). All three leases are leases with operating expense recovery, which amounts to a recovery of 75% of the operating expenses. The landlord covers the remaining 25% of operating expenses and an additional $2/SF/year in non-operating expenses. Non-operating expenses are expected to remain the same. You may assume different lease terms with regard to operating expenses for new leases. Please state your assumptions in the Excel spreadsheet if they differ from the old leases. A capital expenses reserve of $3/SF/year is furthermore required.
The building is depreciated over 39 years (mid-year convention for first and last year) and the value of improvements (building) is considered to be 80% of the purchasing price. The going out cap rate is 8.80% and the investor requires a return of 10%. Selling costs are 2% of the sales price. The investor expects to hold the building for 5 years. Assume an income tax of 35% and a capital gains tax of 15%. For simplicity, you can use the capital gains tax for the entire capital gain (i.e. don’t tax the depreciation recapture and the pure capital gain differently).
Place an order in 3 easy steps. Takes less than 5 mins.