Posted: December 14th, 2015
* You MUST choose 2 images from the second half of class (Early Christian through Early Italian Renaissance).
* The pair you choose must be drawn from DIFFERENT PERIOD STYLES.
You may choose from one of the following sugegsted comparisons if you do not wish to make up your own
* Saint Sernin and Chartres Cathedral
* Vladimir Madonna and Madonna and Child with Angels by Fra Filippo Lippi.
* Annunciation (Merode Altarpiece) by Robert Campin and Holy Trinity by Masaccio
* Lamentation over the Dead Christ and Lamentation by Giotto
* Miracles of the Loaves and Fish and Annunciation by Fra Angelico
Introduction including a thesis statement. This is the main point of your essay and tells your reader what you are going to cover in the essay.
* Cultural context of both artworks/ period style (politics, society, religion, etc.)
* Stylistic characteristics of both artworks/ period style. When discussing culture and style your essay should address how the cultural context informs the stylistic characteristics of that period. You should also incorporate art historical vocabulary from the modules when discussing stylistic characteristics.
* Subject matter of both artworks. (story/narrative, what’s going on in the artwork?)
* Function and possible meaning (symbolism/ iconography) of both artworks
* Similarities, differences between the two. What makes this a good comparison?
* Conclusion should recap thesis, include important conclusions or insights about the artwork and the artist or culture who produced it and discuss why you chose to write about the artwork.
* Documentation of sources bibliography, footnotes, end notes, etc.
Place an order in 3 easy steps. Takes less than 5 mins.