Posted: December 21st, 2015
As a nurse leader, you need to have the skills and knowledge to collaborate and communicate with those who plan for and manage change.
As a nurse leader, you need to have the skills and knowledge to collaborate and communicate with those who plan for and manage change. This capacity is valuable in any health care setting and for many different types of change. Furthermore, it is essential to be able to evaluate a change effort and determine if it is promoting improved outcomes and making a positive difference within the department or unit, or for the organization as a whole.
- Review Chapters 7 and 8 in the course text. Focus on the strategies for planning and implementing change in an organization, as well as the roles of nurses, managers, and other health care professionals throughout this process.
- Reflect on a specific change that has recently occurred in your organization or one in which you have worked previously. What was the catalyst or purpose of the change?
- How did the change affect your job and responsibilities?
- Consider the results of the change and whether or not the intended outcomes have been achieved.
- Was the change managed skillfully? Why or why not? How might the process have been improved?